General Internal Medicine (Primary Care)
The Division of General Internal Medicine is comprised of skilled primary care physicians (PCPs) and nurse practitioners (NPs) who specialize in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases in adults.
Our internal medicine doctors (internists) and NPs frequently serve as the first contact many of our patients have with our group practice for new health concerns as well as for continuing care for chronic conditions.
Based in various practice sites in Manhattan, our healthcare providers strive to develop an ongoing supportive relationship with our patients. Key areas of focus include:
- Prevention -- We provide personalized counseling regarding vaccinations, smoking cessation, exercise and nutrition as well as geriatric assessments for the elderly.
- Identification -- We perform screenings for heart disease, hypertension, cholesterol problems, cancer and other maladies.
- Assessment of acute symptoms, such as pain, fever, rash and infections.
- Optimizing treatment for people with chronic illnesses.
When a patient’s condition calls for special expertise, we are able to refer patients to highly skilled specialists within our practice as well as within Mount Sinai St. Luke’s and Mount Sinai West and throughout the community. In addition, our division also includes experienced hospitalists -- doctors who specialize in overseeing the care of hospitalized patients.
Diseases We Treat
Our healthcare providers are experts in managing a wide range of acute and chronic conditions, including:
- Heart disease
- Infectious diseases
- Kidney disease
- Occupational illnesses
- Pulmonary illnesses
Our primary care physicians are also experienced in treating the special health conditions and disabilities of seniors, including:
- Cardiovascular conditions
- Dementia and memory loss
- Multiple medical problems
- Pulmonary disorders
- Thyroid disorders
- Wound care
Our primary care practice also includes specialists in women’s health who provide a wide range of well-woman care services, including:
- Family planning
- Pregnancy testing
- Preconception counseling
- Lactation consulting
- Menopause guidance
- Treatment of common female disorders and STDs
- Wellness and preventive care
A Patient-Friendly Practice
In addition to providing quality care, we offer a variety of helpful services to meet our patients' needs, including:
- Scheduling of routine appointments in a timely fashion.
- Same-day appointments for urgent healthcare needs.
- A Spanish-friendly environment: Many of our healthcare professionals and staff speak Spanish.
- Acceptance of payment through most major insurance plans.
- Offices dedicated to treating a diverse patient community.
A Commitment to Research and Education
Our clinics are involved in both medical research and training the next generation of doctors. For example, our practitioners have participated in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study, a cutting-edge clinical investigation sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.
Our Healthcare Providers
The division is led by Gary Burke, MD, a highly skilled internist. Our practice is also comprised of various other talented primary care doctors and NPs, including:
Brian L. Africa, MD
Kamara Aseme, MD
Saiera Babaeva, MD
Allan H. Bahoric, MD, AFACC
Sandeep Bhat, MD
Sofia Naa-Abia Casely-Haford, MD
Carmen E. Chitu, MD
Megan E. Collins, MD
Roy Cohen, MD (Section Chief, Ambulatory Medicine)
Jessie Fields, MD
Etta Frankel, MD
Jenny Gerner, MD
Ranjan Ginde, DO
Mark Gorny, MD
John Greely, MD
Theresa Mack, MD
Jessica Petilla, MD
Alejandro Prigollini, MD
Afet Seidler, MD, DO, MPH
Ritu Shrotriya, MD
Stephanie Wang, MD
Edwin Young, MD
For information, an appointment or a consultation, you can contact us at various locations in Manhattan, including the Upper West Side, Central Harlem and East Harlem.
UMPA at 59th Street
425 West 59th Street, Suite 8A
New York, NY 10019
UMPA at Amsterdam Avenue
1090 Amsterdam Avenue at 114th Street, Suite 4A
New York, NY 10025
Mount Sinai Doctors Faculty Practice
2271 Frederick Douglass Boulevard at 147th Street
New York, NY 10039
American Cancer Society
American Diabetes Association
American Heart Association
National Kidney Foundation
American Board of Internal Medicine
The American College of Physicians
NYC Primary Care Information Project